How many digital platforms do you access in a day? Can you remember the password of all your social media accounts? Indeed, there is a lot to keep in mind. So, most people keep a standard, easy password to frequently access their emails and other digital platforms. In this article at Dark Reading, Ericka Chickowski shares some unknown facts about password protection.
There are many tangible measures you can take to protect your IT infrastructure against emerging cyber threats. Password hygiene is one of them. Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is a proclaimed step to prevent data breaches.
Learn these rare viewpoints about password protection to make the right cybersecurity decisions:
- Calculated risks are worth the effort. Passwords are like that. If you use a decent one, you can reduce IT costs and data protection complications.
- A complex password using a variety of numbers, symbols, upper and lowercase alphabetical letters does not guarantee data protection. Such complex rules have a “diminishing margin of return.”
- Password screening is crucial. So, follow analytical procedures to compare your past and potential passwords leveraging your existing database.
- Avoid the unnecessary password change after six months to protect your system. If you do not have a significant reason to modify a password, you should not change it.
- Lengthy passwords are now the rule as recommended by Microsoft. So, you can go beyond the old limit of a 14-character password length and use up to 128 characters.
- According to the recent NIST guidelines, you can use password managers to cut, copy, and paste login credentials.
- NIST is skeptical about using security authentication questions. So, companies must try using “out-of-band authentication or look-up secrets.”
Passwords are still the most sought-after form of user authentication. Most IT and security professionals believe passwords are the safest way to access confidential data. However, some recent incidents prove how insecure passwords could actually be. So, stay updated about emerging trends and make the right password choice. Click on the following link to read the original article: https://www.darkreading.com/application-security/7-unconventional-pieces-of-password-wisdom/d/d-id/1341400?image_number=2